This is something very simple that I always have in my closet when I receive people unexpectedly at my house. I serve them either just like that or with a little cream cheese with herbs on it as a quick appetizer, which changes from peanuts and savory appetizer cakes which are so unhealthy.
Ingredients for a jar:
- 1 kilo of small button mushrooms
- 40 cl of wine vinegar
- 20 cl of water
- 6 cloves (or 10 juniper seeds)
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sugar cubes
- Cut off the earthy stems of the mushrooms and wash them with vinegar water.
- Cook them in a pot of cold water for 5 minutes on low heat after boiling. Drain and let cool completely.
- Prepare the marinade with the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, bay leaf, pepper and cloves (which can be replaced to taste with 10 juniper seeds).
- Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat, covered, for about fifteen minutes.
- Let cool.
- Pack the mushrooms in a glass jar. Cover with marinade. Pour a layer of oil on the surface, for good conservation.
- Close carefully and store in a dry, dark and cool place.
- Wait 2 weeks before tasting.