A simple and comforting recipe with the arrival of bad weather!
- 350g of penne pasta (or other short pasta) – cook per packet minus 1 min
- 40g of butter
- 3 garlic cloves , finely minced
- 4 tbsp of flour
- 1 L of milk
- 2 tsp Vegeta, or chicken or veg stock powder/granulated bouillon
- 125g of parmesan , finely shredded
- 1/2 tsp each mustard powder, onion and garlic powder
- 400g canned tuna , preferably in oil, drained (sub salmon)
- 400g canned corn , drained (or other veg)
- CRUNCHY TOPPING – mix: 25g / 1.5 tbsp butter melted, 125g panko breadcrumbs, 75g cup parmesan finely grated, 1/4 tsp salt
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, cook for 30 sec.
- Add flour and stir into melted butter. While whisking, gradually pour in about 1/3 of the milk. Once the flour-butter mixture is incorporated into the milk, pour in remaining milk and whisk.
- Add Vegeta, mustard, onion and garlic powder, whisk. Whisk constantly to make sure the white sauce doesn’t catch on the base, 4 – 5 min until sauce thick enough that you can draw a path across the back of a spoon (see video). Stir in parmesan.
- Add tuna into pasta, flake into large chunks with fork, add corn, pour over sauce, then gently stir. Scrape into baking dish, top with Crunchy Topping.
- Bake 25 min until top is golden and edges are bubbling. Sprinkle with chives if desired then serve!
Take care of yourself and your loved ones. See you soon!