To pass the time I signed up for an online cooking class given by a friend of mine and today we made a Vietnamese dish. A Bun Cha (I don’t know how to pronounce it ) are meatballs served with rice noodles, some small vegetables and a spicy sweet and sour sauce.
It was really very, very good!
To achieve them, Let’s go!
FOR THE MEATBALLS :
- 300 g / 10 oz of ground / ground pork (chicken or turkey)
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce (nuoc man sauce), 2 teaspoons of white sugar
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 pinch of white pepper, salt,
- 1.5 tablespoon of oil for cooking
FOR THE NUOC CHAM SAUCE (Viet sauce) :
- 3 tablespoons of white sugar,
- 3 tablespoons of fish sauce,
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar,
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice, 1/3 cup (85 ml) of water, 1 bird’s eye chili, seeded and finely chopped (adjust to taste or use another chili),
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Per serving: Provide 100 g of dried rice vermicelli noodles, a large handful of bean sprouts, a few lettuce leaves, folded or grated, julienned carrots and white radish (daikon), Handful of coriander / coriander sprigs, mint , sliced red pepper.
MEATBALL PREPARATION :
- MEATBALLS: Combine all ingredients except oil until blended. Shape into 6 mini hamburger patties.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat. Bake the patties for 2.5 minutes or until golden brown. Turn, cook 2 min then remove.
- Place the noodles in a bowl. Garnish with a handful of bean sprouts, cut lettuce, carrots and radishes, top with meatballs, garnish with cilantro and mint.
- Pour in a generous amount of the sauce (it’s supposed to be like a soup broth).